How To Treat a Bee Sting
Each year thousands of people get stung by bees.
Before you worry, the long and short of it is that being stung by a bee is only truly dangerous to those with severe allergies. If you don’t have severe allergies to bee stings and get stung, you’ll likely experience some redness, soreness, and swelling. These symptoms dissipate over time.
Interestingly enough, a bee’s sting can be used for medical treatment. This is because the bee injects a substance that works as a painkiller and blood thinner after stinging.
Need to know how to treat a bee sting? Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. Below, we’ll list how to treat a bee sting.
How To Treat a Bee Sting?
If you have been stung by a bee, you know it can be a painful experience. There are a few things that you can do to help ease the pain and swelling.
Remove the Stinger
Most bee stings are relatively harmless and cause only minor discomfort. However, some people may have an allergic reaction to bee stings, which can be life-threatening.
If you are stung by a bee, removing the stinger as soon as possible is essential to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction. The best way to remove a bee stinger is to scrape it off with a blunt object, such as a credit card.
If you see bees flying around your home and you worry that they may sting you or any family member, it is best to have stinging and biting insect control come. Insect control services can help to prevent bee stings by eliminating bee colonies that may be present on your property. They can also provide tips on how to bee-proof your home and yard.
Apply a Cold Compress
A cold compress can be a helpful treatment for a bee sting. Bee stings can cause pain, swelling, and redness. A cold compress can help to reduce these symptoms.
To apply a cold compress, wrap the ice in a clean cloth and apply it to the affected area for 15 minutes. Repeat this every two hours as needed.
Antihistamines block histamine, a chemical your body releases in response to an injury or allergen. This action can help to reduce pain, swelling, and itching. Be sure to read the labels of over-the-counter antihistamines to determine the recommended dosage for your weight and age.
See a Doctor
Bee stings can be very dangerous, and if you’re allergic to bee stings, you could go into anaphylactic shock. For this reason, it’s essential to see a doctor as soon as possible.
Get Rid of Bees!
If you are stung by a bee, it is vital to treat the sting as soon as possible. Bee stings can cause reactions ranging from mild to life-threatening. If you are allergic to bee stings, you should always carry medicines.
If you are not allergic, there are still some steps on how to treat a bee sting. Wash the area with soap and water, then apply a cold compress. If you are in pain, you can take ibuprofen. If the pain persists or you develop a reaction, you should see a doctor.
For more helpful tips, check out some of our other articles!